Thursday, January 7, 2010

Saint-Petersburg view by oil pastels

Oil pastel sometimes is called “hard pastel” - it differs a lot from the “soft” one. It doesn’t need coating and doesn’t crumble as soft pastel, but it needs some skill in painting and some rules to keep in mind. I like oil pastels, so my lesson will be on oil pastels painting.
We will keep in mind few general rules:
1. In case of mistake oil pastel is not easy to take away, so think about composition and make few sketches before you start painting!
2. Start from the light colors. I think it is impossible to cover dark colors by light ones, so start from light and treasure light colors and background.
3. Yes, we will paint layer by layer as in classical oil painting but will keep in mind that it is better to apply not more than 3 colors one upon another. More than 3 colors may produce mud.
4. Yes, we will use colored cardboard as a background for oil pastels painting.

Well, let’s start!
I took a sheet of light brown cardboard (20 x 28 inches) and fixed it on the board by paper tape.
I started this picture painting in the street trying to fix the main forms and proper correlation between dark and light colors. I also made a photo of the view to continue my painting in studio.


Take a look, here it is the photo of the city view I was painting, then goes a sketch made in the street. It took me 30 min to do this work.





In studio I corrected the nearest house and drew more details using bright cold colors for sunny and bright warm colors for shady areas.


I colored the remote houses making them more and more light as they are getting more and more distant. Shades are kept “warm”, sunny sides of the houses are kept “cold” colored.
I also continue painting small details on the houses’ fronts.


I am working on nearest shades now, making them more “warm” and contrast.
I also add details like sky reflections in windows of the nearest house


I paint the twist of shades on the ground to show the sidewalk edge.


I add some green and red strokes to the water.


I paint more detailed the left side of pendant bridge.


Well my picture is ready

No comments:

Post a Comment