Sunday, November 28, 2010

Still life with cut lemon

I decided to paint still life, keeping at least some traditions of classical still life paintings. It should be transparent water-bottle, lace drapery, some fruits and – certainly - a cut lemon. It’s a lot of oil pictures of still life, but I want to try oil pastels.

Oil pastels seem to be “unmanageable”, usually they don’t permit artist to mix more than 3 colors, they “aggressive” to light colors – I think it is impossible to fix oil pastels painting by coating the wrong item by paint. But how impressive oil pastels are!

What a grateful painting is an oil pastels painting!


I am starting my next oil pastels’ picture – it will be still life with lemon.

Pastels are ready; piece of blue cardboard is fastened.oil pastels

still life with lemon1

Here is the composition I would like to paint. I will not follow this picture exactly – I am dreaming of painting a peel lemon in this small bowl.

original Let’s start.

I am painting all the picture items at the same time, step by step, returning again and again to the same subject.

As usual I am starting by white color, and then add some light colors – permanently to “feel” the general composition.




White drapery is a handmade peace of embroidery. I am trying to make it semi-transparent.

Light areas will be warm, shades will be cold. I am adding some warm color to show volume of embroidery and folders.

Mandarin, lemon, peeled mandarin and mandarin segment are painted keeping the same rule – light is warm, shade is cold. Glares and reflexes are also warm. Reflex is darker than glare.


My picture looks like this now

Let’s stop for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment